Level up your skills with the most comprehensive & complete guide for drone photography! Click here for more info.
West Greenland 2024 (with Nigel Danson) Photo Workshop
31/08/24 – 07/09/2024 | 7 nights/8 days | €8950 per person | SOLD OUT | Any experience level
Join Nigel Danson & Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove in photographing one of the most stunning locations in the world! It’s often said that Greenland is a place you need to see with your own eyes to believe it’s real. Witnessing the UNESCO Ilulissat Icefjord and Disko Bay in person is definitely one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences. It’s arguably one of the most impressive and most beautiful environments of the Arctic. The whole ocean surrounding the town of Ilulissat is covered in icebergs of all shapes and size – some even as large as a whole apartment building.
A bucket list item for many landscape photographers for sure!
Photo Workshop Highlights
- Photograph the stunning UNESCO Icefjord and Disko Bay – filled with massive icebergs
- Explore the area from land & privately chartered boats
- Discover a Oqaatsut, Qeqertarsuaq & Qasigiannguit – three small Greenlandic settlements
- Capture Eqi glacier, one of the fastest calving glaciers in the world
- Photograph whales and muskoxen in their natural habitats
- Flights between Iceland & Greenland included (at €1500+ these are very expensive and hard to obtain, which is why we include them)
- Accommodation in single rooms included (7 nights)
Meet on August 31st at Keflavík International Airport in Iceland and fly back on September 7th
Limited to just 10 participants (with 2 workshop leaders)
Day 1 (31/08/2024) – Flying to Ilulissat (Greenland) from Iceland
We fly in the morning from Keflavik International Airport in Iceland to Ilulissat, a small town located next to the UNESCO Icefjord (flight included). After checking into the hotel, we will explore the Icefjord and Disko Bay with two separate boat trips.
Day 2 (01/09/2024) – Photographing the Ilulissat UNESCO Icefjord
We further explore the Icefjord and Disko Bay by hiking around the area. In the evening, we have planned another boat trip to photography the icebergs from the ocean.
Day 3 (02/09/2024) – Experiencing the Eqi Glacier
On this third day, we have planned a day excursion to the Eqi glacier, which is one of the most actively calving glaciers in the world.
Day 4-6 (03-05/09/2024) – Discovering Disko Bay & Disko Island
In the morning we check out of the hotel after which we travel to Qeqertarsuaq, which is located on Disko Island via water taxi. We will explore the islands, which has a lot of basalt formations. After spending the night there, we travel from Disko Island to Qasigiannguit, which lies south of the Icefjord. There we will photography muskoxen and spend the time before we travel back to Ilulissat.
Day 7 (06/09/2024) – Final day at the Icefjord & Exploring Oqaatsut
In the morning, we hike photograph the Icefjord from land, after which we travel to Oqaatsut, a remote village north of Ilulissat. There we get to explore the town, after which we meet up at the local restaurant for our goodbye dinner.
Day 8 (07/09/2024) – Flying Back to Iceland
We check out of the hotel in the morning and travel to Ilulissat airport before travelling back to Keflavík International Airport in Iceland (flight included). We will arrive there in the late afternoon.
- Flights between Iceland & Greenland both ways (at €1500+ these are very expensive and hard to obtain, which is why we include them)
- Transportation between Ilulissat airport and the hotel
- 7 nights accommodation in single rooms
- Breakfast (day 2-8)
- Packed lunch at Eqi Glacier (day 3)
- Goodbye dinner on the last night (day 7)
- Private boat charters
- Boat transfers between settlements in Disko Bay
- Professional photographic tuition and guidance from Nigel and Jeroen
What’s Not Included?
- Your own international flights to/from Iceland
- Lunch & dinner (unless otherwise specified)
- Drinks & alcohol
- Travel & personal insurance (highly recommended to take travel insurance!)
- Any other services & goods not mentioned in “What’s Included”
What to Bring?
- A DSLR or mirrorless camera
- A drone with several spare batteries
- A zoom lens in the 70-200mm range or more
- A mid-range zoom in the 24-70mm range
- Laptop or tablet with editing software if you want to edit your photos on the go. In case we’re unable to fill out the time in the field, we’ll do some editing at our accommodation.
- A variety of different layers
- Good hiking boots
- A hat and thin summer gloves
- Warm clothes and wool underwear
- Wind/rain shell jacket and pants
Need a more detailed idea of what outdoor apparel & photography gear to bring? Make sure to read this detailed article!
Overall, there are no specific physical requirements for this photo workshop. However, it’s important to note that there will be some short hiking when we shoot from land. The trails overall easy but have some inclination. For this reason those with medical issues that prohibit hiking, might have some difficulty with this workshop.
We welcome all experience levels, going from beginners to experienced photographers. A good mix of experience levels means we can also learn from each other.