Click here to sign up to my newsletter to get a 5% discount on your next purchase.
Hello! My name is Jeroen.
I am a Belgian, award-winning, nature photographer and guide who specialises in photographing wildlife and landscapes with great passion. I have been living in Reykjavík, Iceland, for several years, using it as my base to explore and capture the raw beauty of the land of fire and ice and the Arctic region in its entirety. On this page, you can read my story, find out what gear I use and browse a list of awards and press articles.
I found my passion for photography very early on when I found an analog Canon SLR in my parent’s attic at the age of 10. Learning how to use it, caused me to be immediately fascinated by photography. Being fortunate enough to travel with my parents to distant countries in my childhood, it developed my respect and admiration for nature tremendously. Years later, after discovering the raw and unspoilt beauty of the Icelandic nature, it reinvigorated my passion for nature photography.
I kept travelling to Iceland in search of the next captivating moment I could capture with my camera. After several years, I decided I had enough of travelling back and forth several times every year and started preparing the next chapter in my life: migrating to Iceland. I sold all my belongings, jumped into a plane with a few suitcases and started a new life in Iceland. There I continued to explore the many hidden corners and secrets the island has to offer.
Thanks to the Geldingadalir eruption and my work surrounding it, 2021 became a milestone year in my photography career. Because of my dedication in photographing the eruption, I gained an increased interest in my work. This allowed me to finally take a big leap forward, one I dreamt of for many years up to that point. I started my own business in Iceland and became a full-time photographer and guide. At the end of 2021, I also released my first book, which is called New Earth – a Photographic Journey of the Geldingadalir Eruption.
What Gear Do I Use?
At this time, I use the following camera equipment to create my shots:
- DJI Air 2S
- Canon EOS R6
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III
- Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM
- An assortment of drop-in filters
I have also previously owned a DJI Mavic 2 Pro, Canon AV-1 (analog), Canon EOS 550D, Canon 6D, Canon 5D Mark IV and a Canon EOS R as well as following assortment of lenses:
- Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 STM
- Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM
- Tamron 70-300mm SP F/4.0-5.6 Di VC USD
- Samyang 14mm F/2.8 Aspherical IF ED UMC Canon
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
- Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II
- Canon 1.4X Extender III
Awards & Certifications
Below you can find a list of relevant awards, nominations, certifications and selections throughout my photography career.
- Northern Lights Photographer of the Year 2021 (selected by Capture The Atlas)
Selected by Capture The Atlas as a Northern Lights Photographer of the Year 2021 with my Volcanic Aurora Borealis photograph, taken at the eruption in Geldingadalir.
- Canon Young Talent 2021 (selected by Canon Belgium)
Selected by Canon Belgium as one of 2021’s Young Talents. I got the opportunity to speak at the Photo Days in Brussels, Belgium.
- PX3 – Silver Award in the Nature/Landscape category (awarded by Prix de la Photographie Paris – June 2018)
Obtained the a Silver Award at Prix de la Photographie Paris 2018 awards.
- PX3 – Honorable Mention in the Nature/Landscape category (awarded by Prix de la Photographie Paris – June 2018)
Obtained an honorable mention at Prix de la Photographie Paris 2018 awards.
- Land und Meer Fotowettbewerb 2016 (awarded by CEWE and Land Und Meer magazine – April 2017)
First prize in the Land und Meer Fotowettbewerb, a German magazine (link to the publication).
- Finalist at FEP Photographer of the Year Awards 2016 (awarded by FEP – March 2016)
Certified finalist in the landscape category at the FEP European Professional Photographer of the Year awards 2016.
- FEP Landscape Merit Award 2016 (awarded by FEP – March 2016)
Obtained the FEP Landscape Merit Award at the FEP European Professional Photographer of the Year Awards 2016.
- EP Qualification (awarded by FEP – December 2015)
The European Photographer (EP) qualification aims to recognise competence and a professional standard for those who earn their lives as Professional Photographers. It is designed to complement the lack of a specific title to uphold the professional status.
Publications & Press
Below you can find a list of relevant press publications for my photography career.
- Fotograaf Jeroen (34) schoot wekenlang plaatjes van spectaculaire vulkaanuitbarsting (Nieuwsblad – 05/01/2022)
- La magie spectaculaire des aurores polaires (Paris Match – 14/12/2021)
- Dit zijn de mooiste foto’s van het noorderlicht van het jaar (Weekend Knack – 12/12/2021)
- The 25 best aurora pictures of 2021 (The Daily Mail – 10/12/2021)
- Les plus belles photos d’aurores polaires de 2021 selon le site Capture the Atlas (GEO France – 09/12/2021)
- Las mejores fotos de auroras boreales de 2021 (National Geographic Spain – 09/12/2021)
- Northern lights photographer of the year – in pictures (The Guardian – 07/12/2021)
- 15 Photos From the 2021 Northern Lights Photographer of the Year (PetaPixel – 07/12/2021)
- “Ik leef samen met de natuur en doe alles meer op m’n gemak” (Het Laatste Nieuws – 06/11/2021 & 18/11/2021)
- My Journey in Photographing Iceland’s Volcano Eruption Over 10 Weeks (PetaPixel – 16/06/2021)
- Het moment waar Jeroen al vijf jaar op wachtte: “Alles rondom ons werd rood. Overweldigend” (Nieuwsblad – 05/06/2021)
- Vlaming wacht vijf jaar voor hij perfect kiekje kan maken: “Een geweldig gevoel” (Het Belang Van Limburg – 05/06/2021)
- “De natuur doet het grootste deel van mijn werk, ik leg alleen vast wat ik heb gezien” (Magazine) (Vlamingen in de Wereld – 11/05/2021)
- Iceland’s Eruption and the Northern Lights Captured in One Photo (PetaPixel – 26/04/2021)
- Photographing Volcanic Eruption Up-Close and Personal (Fstoppers – 28/03/2021)
- Dramatic Images and Film Document the Beauty of Iceland’s Lava Flow (PetaPixel – 24/03/2021)
- Indrukwekkende beelden: natuurfotograaf Jeroen fotografeert vulkaanuitbarsting in IJsland (Radio 2 – 23/03/2021)
- Jeroen maakt waanzinnige, unieke beelden van vulkaanuitbarsting in IJsland (Brabants Dagblad – 22/03/2021)
- IJslandse Belg maakt machtige beelden vlak bij vulkaankrater (Het Laatste Nieuws & VTM Nieuws – 22/03/2021)
- Vlaming maakt unieke beelden van vulkaanuitbarsting in IJsland (Nieuwsblad – 21/03/2021)
- Knappe foto’s tonen Asse van uit de lucht (Nieuwsblad – 20/07/2015)
- Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove opent vanavond eerste fototentoonstelling in cc Asse (Nieuwsblad – 20/03/2015)
- Fotograaf uit Asse verbaast met knappe IJsland-foto’s (Nieuwsblad – 15/01/2015)
- Asse omgetoverd in prachtig sneeuwlandschap (Nieuwsblad – 28/12/2014)