Level up your skills with the most comprehensive & complete guide for drone photography! Click here for more info.
Puffins in the Midnight Sun 2024 Photo Workshop (with Anja Robanke)
18/06/2024 – 23/07/2024 | 5 nights | €4495 per person | 6 out 8 spots left! | Any experience level
Join Anja Robanke & Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove to photograph puffins under the midnight sun on a remote island in the Greenland Sea. Every year millions of seabirds come to Grímsey for nesting and houses one of Iceland’s biggest puffin colonies. Together with 24 hours of daylight, there are endless possibilities! Grímsey is a true heaven for photographers that enjoy photographing birds. Because of the island is small, everything is easily accessible on foot during this bird photo workshop. This allows you to slow down and focus on getting the best shots without having to worry about travelling or getting on time to our hotel.
- A small group – limited to just 8 spots (with 2 workshop leaders)
- Accommodation in single rooms included (5 nights)
- Daily image critique sessions and professional guidance
- Flights included from Reykjavík to Grímsey and back
- Meet on June 18th at Reykjavík Domestic Airport
Want to know how the 2023 edition of the Puffins in the Midnight Sun photo workshop went? Make sure to read Jeroen’s photo workshop report.
Day 1 (18/06/24) – Arrival On Grímsey Island
The photo workshop begins at Reykjavík Domestic Airport where we will board a plane to travel, via Akureyri, to Grímsey. After having lunch, we set out to explore the puffin island.
Day 2-5 (19-22/06/24) – Photographing Puffins on Grímsey island
We will spend our time photographing the bird life on Grímsey and exploring the puffin island. When the weather allows, we will also photograph the birds under the midnight sun.
Day 6 (23/06/24) – Return to Reykjavík
After breakfast we depart from Grímsey, via Akureyri, to Reykjavík Domestic Airport where the photo workshop ends.
Which Bird Species Will We See Other Than Atlantic Puffins?
You can find many different species of seabirds on Grímsey. The most popular, without question, are the North Atlantic Puffins. But you can also meet razorbills, common murres, black guillemots, Arctic terns, common eiders, black-legged kittiwakes, northern fulmars, black-tailed godwits, white wagtails, golden plovers, ringed plovers, snow buntings, common snipe, red-necked phalaropes, Eurasian oystercatcher, purple sandpipers, common redshank, dunlin and more.
- Flights both ways between Reykjavik Domestic Airport and Grímsey (via Akureyri)
- Accommodation on Grímsey in a local bed and breakfast
- Breakfast on days 2-6
- Lunch on days 1-5
- Dinner on days 1-5
- Anja Robanke & Jeroen Van Nieuwenhove, who know the island very well, guiding you throughout the workshop
- Mentoring/guidance/feedback from two professional photographers
- Evaluation of your photographs during daily image critique sessions
- Editing advice in Lightroom/Photoshop
What’s Not Included?
- Flights to/from Iceland
- Transportation between Keflavík International Airport & Reykjavík
- Drinks & alcohol
- Travel & personal insurance
- Any other services & goods not mentioned in “What’s Included”
What to Bring?
- A DSLR or mirrorless camera
- A zoom lens in the 70-200mm range or more (a 100-400mm or similar is highly recommended)
- A mid-range zoom in the 24-70mm range
- Laptop or tablet with editing software
- A variety of different layers (the weather in Iceland changes a lot)
- Good waterproof boots
- A hat and winter gloves (wearing gloves with a pair of liners is a great idea)
- Warm clothes and wool underwear
- Wind-/rainproof jacket and pants
It’s important to note that we will hike daily. The hikes are not difficult and almost always on an easy trail. We are also not in a rush so if you are smaller, that is no problem at all. However those with medical issues that prohibit hikes, might have a difficult time with this workshop.
We welcome all experience levels, going from beginners to experienced photographers. A good mix of experience levels means we can also learn from each other.
What Participants Have Said About This Photo Workshop
I had the privilege of going on the Puffins in the midnight sun workshop which was an amazing experience. Anja and Jeroen were both absolutely amazing hosts and the workshop exceeded my expectations. Both were very approachable with any questions and provided the appropriate level of advice, allowing me to improve my photography.Jeff M.Puffins in the Midnight Sun Workshop in June 2023
Having never attempted wildlife photography before, I wanted a workshop that would give me a lot of opportunities to learn & shoot, with supportive and knowledgeable leaders. The puffins in the midnight sun with Anja and Jeroen checked every box. The location was stunning, with so many puffins & other birds to photograph. Jeroen and Anja were patient, knowledgeable, and lead with great energy, enthusiasm and sense of humour. They spent time sharing techniques and guidance, but then allowed us time to shoot independently, share shots and receive feedback. I had an excellent time on this workshop and would definitely recommend to others. I learned so much, and came away a much more confident wildlife photographer.Rhiannon L.Puffins in the Midnight Sun Workshop in June 2023
A very good workshop at a nice location with good workshop leaders. I learned a lot and got some nice photos I am very happy about. Highly recommendable!Tommy J.Puffins in the Midnight Sun Workshop in June 2023