Click here & sign up to the newsletter to get a 10% discount on your next purchase in the online shop.
Arctic Foxes in Hornstrandir 2024
10/06/2024 – 16/06/2024 | 6 nights | €5995 per person | 8 spots | Any experience level
This unique photography workshop is centred entirely around wildlife. We will travel to the remote area of Hornstrandir in the Icelandic West Fjords to photograph the Arctic Fox as well as the Atlantic Puffin and whales. To be flexible our base of operations is an expedition sailboat which allows us to adjust locations based on weather conditions.
Though seeing wildlife is never guaranteed, Hornstrandir houses the largest population of Arctic Foxes in Iceland which vastly increases our chances.
Limited to just 8 spots (plus 1 workshop leader)
Accommodation in bunks in shared cabins on a quaint expedition sailboat
Adventurous trip to one of the most remote places in Iceland
Meet in the early evening of June 10th 2024 and return on the evening of June 16th 2024
Day 1 (10/06/24) – Departure from Reykjavík
We meet in the early evening at the domestic airport in downtown Reykjavík where we board a flight to ísafjörður, a small town in the West Fjords of Iceland. From there, we board our home for the workshop which is the expedition sailboat Byr.
Day 2-5 (11-15/08/24) – Hornstrandir
During this workshop we will explore a remote area called Hornstrandir. Hornstrandir is a Nature Reserve which is difficult to access but with a sailboat, it becomes a lot easier. Based on weather conditions we will find the right spots to land to look for arctic foxes. While sailing around the fjords and the Greenland Sea, we will try to find whales. Additionally we will make a stop on Vígur island to photograph puffins.
Day 6 (16/06/25) – Return to Reykjavík
After returning back to the harbour in Ísafjörður, we will board a flight back to Reykjavík at the airport.
- Flights from Reykjavík to ísafjörður & back
- Transfer from Ísafjörður airport to the sailboat and back
- 6 nights accommodation in shared cabins (1 or 2 bunk beds per cabin) with shared facilities
- Breakfast, lunch & dinner while we are on the sailboat
- Professional photographic tuition and guidance from Jeroen
What’s Not Included?
- Flights to/from Iceland
- Transportation between Keflavík International Airport & Reykjavík
- Lunch & dinner (unless otherwise specified)
- Drinks & alcohol
- Travel & personal insurance
- Any other services & goods not mentioned in “What’s Included”
What to Bring?
- A DSLR or mirrorless camera
- A drone with spare batteries (we will try to photograph whales with a drone if we encounter them – drone flying is not allowed inside the nature reserve)
- A zoom lens in the 100-400mm range or more
- Laptop or tablet with editing software to edit your photos on the go. In case we’re unable to fill out the time in the field due to unfavourable weather, we’ll do some editing.
- A variety of different layers (The weather in Iceland changes a lot)
- Good waterproof boots
- A hat and summer gloves
- Warm clothes and wool underwear
- Wind/rain shell jacket and pants
The Expedition Sailboat Byr
Our home on this workshop is the quaint expedition sailboat Byr. You can find walkthrough video below.
It’s important to note that there will be some hiking on this trip. Some hikes can be up to 5km (both ways) with elevation gains. The trails can be uneven and slippery. For this reason those with medical issues that prohibit longer hikes, might have a difficult time with this workshop.
We welcome all experience levels, going from beginners to experienced photographers. A good mix of experience levels means we can also learn from each other.